On Sunday 08 June 2008 02:03:33 pm Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:45 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> > > It really doesn't matter in this case; T60p, T60p (widescreen), T61p,
> > > X60p, etc...  They all behave the same way when it comes to
> > > temperatures: incredibly high, sometimes to the point of the system
> > > shutting off (for some).
> >
> > My T60p is really unusable for anything cpu intensive under FreeBSD.
> > Even with the ibm acpi addons loaded and the fan set to it's highest
> > setting it only turns at 3700rpm, which isn't enough to keep it from
> > shutting down due to heat.  (eg over 100C)
> >
> > I'm interested in whatever cooling solutions people have...
>
> You can read through this thread:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=141019+0
> +/usr/local/www/db/text/2008/freebsd-acpi/20080217.freebsd-acpi
>
> which mentions at least two ways to approach it -- the right one is from
> the referenced message forward.
>
> HTH,

So in doing some more research I finally got together the nerve to disassemble
my laptop.  After cleaning a massive amount of thermal paste off the cpu and
heatsink it's operating around 60C after multiple make -j4 buildworlds, where
it used to shut down due to going over 100C.

It seems I'm not the first person to discover this was the root cause of their
heat and noise problems with their Lenovo T60/61 laptop.

I've also been able to turn over control of the fan back to the BIOS as
opposed to running it full out all the time.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB