On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Kevin Oberman wrote:

From: Max Laier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:38:46 +0200
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Monday 21 July 2008 21:14:22 Doug Barton wrote:
Brett Glass wrote:
| Everyone:
|
| Will FreeBSD 7.1 be released in time to use it as an upgrade to
| close the BIND cache poisoning hole?

Brett, et al,

I'll make this simple for you. If you have a server that is running
BIND, update BIND now. If you need to use the ports, that's fine, just
do it now. Make sure that you are not specifying a port via any
query-source* options in named.conf, and that any firewall between
your named process and the outside world does keep-state on outgoing
UDP packets.

... and that any NAT device employs at least a somewhat random port
allocation mechanism - pf provides this.

And, if you are not sure how good a job it does (and I am not), you
should use the OARC test to check how well it works:
dig +short porttest.dns-oarc.net TXT

If the result is not "GOOD", it's not good enough.

I was playing around with this a bit. It seems like a patched server will give a standard deviation of more than 18,000. If I make some queries behind a one-to-many NAT using pf, it falls to somewhere around 6,000 (with a patched BIND - unpatched is pitiful).

PF is not *adding* any randomness to unpatched servers. Since it has a (non-configurable?) range of ports it will grab when doing outbound NAT, the results are not as good as with no NAT intervention, but passable I suppose.

Of course in a 1:1 NAT setup it is transparent.

Charles

You can test a remote server by adding "@remote-server" to the dig
command. The server may be specified by name or IP address.

Don't forget that ANY server that caches data, including an end system
running a caching only server is vulnerable.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)