Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 09:28:36PM +0200, Henri Hennebert wrote:
John Baldwin wrote:
This patch merges a few changes from HEAD back to 7.x. I think the endian changes specifically might solve the issue people saw with zpools created with non-dtrace kernels not being readable by dtrace kernels and vice versa.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/zfs_7.patch

Just a follow-up

I cvsup at Sat Aug 30 12:55 without zfs_7.patch and

make buildworld && make buildkernel && make installkernel

reboot (-s) --root on zfs is ok -- make installworld

reboot

System is still sluggish even during the make installworld in single user.

Sorry if I've missed this, but what tuning have you done for ZFS?  Some
of us (most of us?) have seen fairly "sluggish" performance when
prefetch is enabled (the default), while the system is generally more
responsive when prefetch is disabled.

prefetch is enabled:

vfs.zfs.arc_min: 33554432
vfs.zfs.arc_max: 268435456
vfs.zfs.mdcomp_disable: 0
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable: 0
vfs.zfs.zio.taskq_threads: 0
vfs.zfs.recover: 0
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size: 10485760
vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.max: 16384
vfs.zfs.cache_flush_disable: 0
vfs.zfs.zil_disable: 0
vfs.zfs.debug: 0

This may have nothing to do with the problem you've stated, but I
thought I'd throw it out there.

I think that the problem is somewhere else because >80% of system cpu on a dual core seems awfully bad - eg more than 20 seconds to open this response after clicking on the response button.

Henri