just a quick note to announce the addition of support for the ipfw2
firewall of FreeBSD:

The idea of an ipfw plugin had been discussed in the past, but the fact
that rules are numbered prevented a Snortsam implementation. Until now.
Robert Rolfe discovered that ipfw2 (version 2 of ipfw available with
FreeBSD 5.x) has support for groups and supplied the basics for this
plugin. So at last, we were able to add ipfw2 support, which is now
included in Snortsam version 2.31.

The plugin works by adding IP addresses to groups which are used in deny
rules. The deny rules using these groups have to be created beforehand.
Snortsam is then configured with the external interface name and the
numbers of the groups used in the inbound and outbound deny rules.
Please see the section regarding ipfw2 in README.conf or
snortsam.conf.sample for more information.

We may add a README.ipfw2 later if required.

Regards,
Frank

--
Huzeyfe ONAL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>