Michael,

I'd prefer not to write anything. :-) If these technologies already exist I'd like to use them. I've never heard of them being in existence. I've always known WiFi to communicate with a WiFi router / hub to get to other WiFi devices, or one-to-one with another device. Never the ability to communicate with multiple devices as part of a mesh / grid.

What I'd like is something this flexible:
My wife and I are walking in mall with at least one other person every 40 feet or so. We decide to separate and go shopping. I walk this way, she walks that way. Before long we're out of direct WiFi communication range to each other. Now, if enough people there in the mall had WiFi-enabled devices running some mesh software, I'd like to be able to stay in contact with my wife as she moves about in her randome way, and as they all move about in their random ways. The protocols involved would have to keep everyone abreast of where the devices are coming and going in this ever changing sea of WiFi meshes.

If technology exists to do this, point me to it and show me the FAQ on how to install it on my FBX so I can begin using it today. :-) I'd even be willing to write a slick GUI to make it easier for the next guy.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin