I emailed with Jim the other day. He is extremely busy at present.
However, he stated that he wished to get FreeDOS 1.2 out the
door very soon. He did mention some reasons for getting it
released. But, I’m not going to go into them.

I see no reason why a beta release is not ready in the next
few days-weeks. So, I highly recommend taking a look at the
package list files and making any requests you may have for
additions or removals.

https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/SETTINGS/PKG_BASE.LST
https://github.com/shidel/FDI/blob/master/SETTINGS/PKG_ALL.LST

Also, Option 1 in the FDCONFIG.SYS file that FDI creates has issues
with VirtualBOX. Someone who is more up to date on the memory
managers should do an install and take a look at the config files. Then,
let me know what needs changed. Otherwise, It won’t get fixed.

FDI status update:

It is still finished. However, I just implemented a couple changes:

        Removed the XMGR and UIDE packages.

        Added a few other packages to the ALL package list.

        Slightly improved batch file start up DOSDIR and TEMP dir
        detection and configuration. (when present)

        Modified a couple lines in the installer. So, that regardless of what
        drive FDI installs to, the boot files are configured to be booting from
        drive C:.

        Modified mkFDI to create both Floppy Installer Image for CD Media
        and Hard disk image for USB stick installer.

        Modified mkFDI to adjust some configuration stuff for different
        installer images.

        Updated FDI, so when booting from USB/HD image it assumes
        default target for install is drive D: (config files will be set for C:
booting)

        A couple other minor things.

I have tested the USB stick image as a hard drive and it works fine. However,
I have no way at present to boot from a DOS formatted USB stick. So, I have
not uploaded the USB version.

Latest FDI image: http://up.lod.bz/FDI/latest

Jerome