> On Feb 16, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Matej Horvat <matej.hor...@guest.arnes.si>
> wrote:
>
> On 2016-02-16 3:06 PM, Jerome E. Shidel Jr. wrote:
>> When used at the tail of a pipe, if the set /p does not receive any
>> input, FreeCOM will basically crash. So, it would appear that
>> it receives the pipe and just fails to set the environment variable.
>
> I can't reproduce this, at least not interactively. Does it only happen
> in batch files?

I think it only happens in a batch file.

It is very hard to reproduce. It only happens sometimes. Mostly,
it seems to happen only after a write to the filesystem or a TEMP
environment variable change or after lots of pipes + sets. It is very odd.
Almost, like there is a buffer somewhere in the shell that takes a little
while to update.  It will happen with or without a caching. (LBACACHE)

Mostly, it is just frustrating when doing lots of logic in a batch file. (like
FDI)

> You can also use:
>
> SET /E PWD=CD
>
> As described by "SET /?":
> "/E sets the given variable to the first line of output of the command
> pointed to by [string].”

Never even though of /E. Maybe at some point, just to see if set /E has the
same issue, I will swap out some of the /P stuff for /E and pull the
“Workaround”
failsafe checks out.