I made a rather ATARI looking maze game a while back,written in QBASIC.
(Source code is buried in my terrabyte drive somewhere...)

I ended up making different functions to create an API.

The Window Library drew windows pixel by pixel (It's QBASIC,remember),and
were called dynamically as a library file.

Wouldn't be that hard to make an API,it would just require you to make it
from scratch.