Hello Ulrich,

I will definitely look into it very soon.
(Probably next weekend. Some changes at work have really limited my free time
lately)

Rugxulo has also pointed me to a FreeDOS based release that MetaDOS. It
seems to do the automatic networking setup pretty well. Under VirtualBOX,
it works with the default settings. But with VMware Fusion, you must change
the type of networking adapter. However, that is all the further that I have
been able to look at it so far. I don’t know if there are any issues with
porting
it to the official FreeDOS release. I have not had the time to delve into it and
figure out exactly what needs to be done.

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/metados/

<https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/metados/>

Your solution will probably be easier for me to implement though. Especially,
since
you have figured out all of the steps needed to get it working.

> On Aug 21, 2016, at 8:20 AM, Ulrich Hansen <my.gr...@mailbox.org> wrote:
> [..]
> are already in your AUTOEXEC.BAT. But there are bugs...
>
> Bug 1
> In your AUTOEXEC.BAT you have a line:
> REM CHCP 858REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60
>
> So someone accidentally deleted a line break. It should read:
> REM CHCP 858
> REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

As it turns out, this is a minor installer bug I will fix.

rem IF EXIST %DOSDIR%\BIN\DOSLFN.COM LH DOSLFN
$LANG_SET$
REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

Inserting the “REM” language settings drops the trailing CRLF. I
never noticed it was doing that it will take care of it.

> Bugs2
> The DHCP line won’t work as the C:\MTCP directory is not added to the PATH.
> The PCNTPK line will not work as C:\FDOS\DRIVERS\CRYNWR is not added to the
> PATH.
> Would this be fixed in FDNPKG or in the installer?
>
> Please add them to the PATH. Then remove the REM in both lines.

I think the best solution will be to relocate all networking stuff in the
AUTOEXEC.BAT into
a separate batch file. Probably, NETSTART.BAT or STARTNET.BAT. Then, provide it
as a
separate package.

Then in the AUTOEXEC, just test for its existence and run it if present. A user
could easily
disable it by using a single REM or removing the package.

> Bug 3
> line.

Do you know why it won’t load high with option 2?

> Bug 4
> DHCP will not work because there is no MTCP.CFG found in C:\FDOS\.
> I suggest to copy the file SAMPLE.CFG in the MTCP.ZIP package from PROGS\MTCP
> to the root as MTCP.CFG.
> This will make sure MTCP.CFG is installed in C:\FDOS. I have done that and
> there is an updated version of MTCP.ZIP at:
> https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/mtcp.zip
> <https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/mtcp.zip>
>

> Now after "DHCP“ add another line for WATTCP autoconfiguration with DHCP
> C:\FDOS\BIN\M2WAT.COM <http://m2wat.com/>
>
> Some things still have to be done manually by the user (configuring FTPSRV
> password files, configuring VirtualBox to bridged networking) but it’s a big
> step forward.

Thanks,
Jerome