> On Oct 16, 2016, at 11:33 AM, Matej Horvat <matej.hor...@guest.arnes.si>
> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 16:59:05 +0200, Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net>
> wrote:
>
>> If the user is in advanced mode OR selects a non-English language, the
>> installer will prompt for a couple of keyboard settings. US, UK, GR,
>> GR2, SG, NL, FR and SP.
>
> The FreeDOS 1.0 installer offered 85 keyboard layouts. Why stop there?

Mostly, I see no point in offering a keyboard layout for languages that do
not have translations available for the installer at present. There have only
been 5 translations provided for the installer. So, for example, I don’t think
it is very likely that many people will choose English, German, Spanish,
French, Dutch or Esperanto and be trying to use a Norske keyboard.

Also, limiting the number of available choices will make it easier to
select the correct layout from the menu. Instead having multiple pages
of keyboard layout choices. Each of these screens will require translation
into the appropriate languages.

Finally, I will be using mkeyb to set the keyboard layouts. It only has
roughly 30 or so languages.

XKEYB is also installed and the user may change over to that for
more choices.

Jerome