Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:45 AM, Wolfram Sang <w...@the-dreams.de> wrote:

> I saw you are planning a release for the end of the year and I'd like to
> contribute back and do a personal bug sprint until then.

I'm not sure there's enough time to squeeze every last bit into the
upcoming release. It's basically finished, AFAIK. I think it might be
wise not to get our hopes too high to cram literally every fix in
there, instead preferring a (long-term) 1.3 release for anything
further (especially to lessen pressure on Jerome, who has enough on
his plate).

> I am currently
> installing FreeDOS on my old MMX233-Laptop (on which I ported
> svgatextmode back to DOS [1] years ago :D), but I use dosemu as well.

Welcome (back)!

> Since I usually hack on the Linux Kernel, I am tuned to git-based
> workflows. I found git-repos at https://github.com/FDOS which are not
> mentioned in the docs/wiki but I assume they are official?

Not official, no, not that I'm aware of, but anything by Jeremy
(PerditionC) is probably semi-official since he's a major contributor.

https://github.com/PerditionC/fdkernel

> So, I'd think the usual way is that I attach patches to bugs in the SF
> bugtracker. And if I find minor things on the way? I create new bug
> entries? Or patches to the list? I am fine with both.

Either is okay, but eventually someone (me?) will have to grab them
and put them elsewhere. FreeCOM is a bad example since it's fairly
complex and nobody seems majorly interested in maintaining it.

So, for example, I did manually mirror two patches (setp, shift) to
here, just so that they wouldn't be lost / hard to find / unknown
(lacking any better, more perfect, solution):

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/command/patch/

> And is there something like a release script for tools? Looking at bug
> #142 ("MODE command - can't set "STOP=2" ), the fix is really trivial
> and the patch is already there. Just the release missing. I am sure
> there is a script for that?

The new MODE release wasn't formally announced (nor to me), nor did I
get any .ZIP to disseminate. So I only propagated the tiny patch.

But now that I see the .ZIP, I've mirrored it to the traditional place
(and symlinked it with release date in the name for clarity):

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/mode/