Hi Matthew,

> ... storage, which I set to 40 GB.  The installation took a long
> time---several hours, although I didn't measure it carefully.
> Post-installation, it seemed to run slowly, e.g., a directory listing of
> the FreeDOS "bin" directory took a minute or so to display anything. ...

That is quite horrible indeed :-( Have you tried different disk
controller "models" in the virtual hardware? Or maybe Hyper-V is
simulating BIOS services in some obscure and slow way, assuming
that BIOS is "only needed during boot" by most operating systems?

Regards, Eric

PS: In one older FreeDOS install CD, autodetect and use of net and
USB drivers was extremely slow. Forcefully skipping those helped,
if no network was needed and if USB was handled by the BIOS anyway.