Gruess Gott,

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 6:28 AM, Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:
> Argh….

C'mon, Tom, it's not that burdensome, is it?

>> Anyhow, you said you wanted to do your code in “Pure C”. From my
>> personal experience, a lot of the information on the web pertaining to
>> very low level graphics programming is incomplete at best. Vesa,
>> SuperVGA, VGA, MCGA, EGA, CGA and etc are very old. They predate
>> the internet becoming popular. Consider picking up a good old book.
> or consult  this famous internet thing about advice on graphics
> programming.
>
>> You may save yourself a lot of wasted time, frustration and headaches.
> +1

Okay, but which book would you recommend? I'm surprised he didn't
mention the famous Ferraro book (which I've sadly never read).

>> All of this talk about VGA frame rates, alpha masks, sprites and
>> pixels, you are really making me want to write a 2D DOS gaming engine.
>
> IMO this [Freedos-devel] mailing list should be about
> developing the FreeDOS operating system; not all random programs that
> might one day run *on top* of this operating system.

http://www.freedos.org/lists/

"Are you interested in writing programs for FreeDOS? Freedos-devel is
for developers, developers, developers!"

If you don't want to read those messages about graphics, don't click
on those with subject containing "VGA" (etc). Or set a filter in your
email client for such things.

> if all people programming any programs for FreeDOS would all post to
> this mailing list it would probably crash the server.

There aren't that many developers left. We really don't want to
discourage those who are still here.

Even this thread is only roughly 35 messages and 10 people. The lists
are hosted by SF.net, and their graphical ads alone probably weigh
more than this whole discussion. Much larger files (entire .ISOs) are
downloaded from them on a daily basis, so they're well used to the
heavy traffic. Let's not overreact.

> please post graphics stuff somewhere else.

Where else would you honestly recommend?  news://comp.os.msdos.programmer ???