Entschuldigung!

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 8:12 AM Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> > The GNUC version seems to mostly work,

I didn't quite have the time or energy to test TC or Watcom builds
yet. In fact, due to external circumstances, some tests
regressed/broke even with original (2006, TC) FreeCOM, which I'm
normally using by default. So that's four shells and (I don't know?
20+?) many "tests" that I have to re-run. Quite a few tests seemed to
work okay now with the GNUC build, though, which is very promising and
good news.

> > at least in several of my tests. It's still reporting spurious "Out of
> > memory error" and
> > "Invalid switch - /d" (for unknown reasons), but some common tests
> > seem to succeed now.

Not sure exactly why those errors, but "spurious" (false or fake)
means I'm just ignoring them, for now.

> > (This is on 0.7-pre snapshot that I linked in my
> > DropBox, if that makes a difference, run under 64-bit QEMU 3.0.0 atop
> > Win7 64-bit.)
>
> well as usual: no mentioning of WHAT F**KING TEST YOU DID
> can't be so difficult, right ?

I ran over a dozen tests. They all test different pieces. It's not
that simple or one dimensional. Part of that is intentional.

Did you want a list of "successful" tests?? Or just the failures,
right? You have the same files that I do (now), if you think it makes
much of a difference (since 0.6).

> > However, trying to run NEWWGET.BAT seems to hang
> > forever.
> what f**king NEWWGET.BAT? not part of my copy of this world famous
> METADOS.
> mind sharing this with us so we might try to reproduce this?

Aug. 21 email (in last thread about previous prerelease) had a link to
my DropBox, which I explicitly mentioned here. Inside
"network/stubs.zip" is indeed found "newwget.bat" (which is unpacked
to "%RAMDRIVE%:\utils" at bootup). Are you still using only (old) 0.6?
It was because of your alleged confusion (0.6 or newer?) that I
uploaded this for you. Yes, I've now tested it (here under antiX Linux
via live USB), and it can indeed be downloaded successfully.

But keep in mind that I'm not expecting nor demanding any serious
debugging, just casually mentioning what I'm seeing.

> > But using the old (2008) Wget (e.g. "tests oberon") seems to
> > work fine. (Of course, the problem is that some sites don't work with
> > that old Wget anymore.)
>
> > I know that's not saying much, but it's something ... right?
> your bug reporting could be worse, but it's not easy.

I'm not sure if M.K.'s site is down (or was yesterday), so it could've
been that. It's a shame that I might even have to (again) run the
(normally "successful") test under original (2006, TC) FreeCOM just to
make sure it still works as originally intended. Some things are
outside of my control. (But it's very tedious to rebuild and mirror
only free/libre stuff with nobody to help. Please keep in mind that
I'm not normally trying to make things harder for myself or others.
I'm not normally trying to be too clever or baroque.)

So I didn't have time to fully isolate the problem on my end to make
absolutely sure it's a bug or regression in newer FreeCOM prerelease.
I just wanted to show that I did (briefly) try it out. More testing
from me will come later, but (sadly) my time and energy is not
infinite.