Hi,

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 6:49 AM Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

> > On Mar 8, 2019, at 9:40 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
> >
> > As DOS barely supports any overlay stuff, another question would be
> > which FreeDOS packages work directly from read-only media.
> > My guess is: MOST will!
>
> I agree that most of BASE (and many more packages) could run without issue on
> a read-only
> filesystem. Also with a TEMP dir living on a RAM drive, you could even use
> I/O redirection
> (type blahblah.txt | more).

Normally you'd just run "more blahblah.txt" (or even better, ">
more$", if you've loaded MORESYS), no %TEMP% space used!

But I see your overall point.

The problem is that RAM disk is more than just %TEMP% space. It's also
for extra speed (vs. slow hard disk or floppy) or other unfinished
work (that isn't saved ... yet?). So you have to balance that space.
It might even be better to have multiple RAM disks loaded (for
different purposes), or maybe one that can unload/resize (which some
few actually can).

> This is just information for RC1. Not disk space requirements…
>
> Total packages:                 298
> All packages (compressed)       532 MB
> All packages (uncompressed) 1.1 GB (30,806 files, some source trees contain
> LFNs and remain compressed)
> All packlages (uncompressed binaries)  682 MB + 227 MB (compressed sources) =
> 909 MB (17,653 files + 1 massive source zip)
>
> :-)

Developers are very sloppy and include lots of things that they don't
need. They also split up things into too many files. Too many
dependencies. I'm just saying, it's overwhelming, even for them.
Things need to be minimalized, simplified! But it takes a lot of time
and effort, and most don't care enough. (I know that's a cheap thing
to say, but trust me, it's a mess that should be avoided.) Most things
can be simplified and slimmed greatly without losing any functionality
(without dirty tricks).