On 2004-03-13, Eric Auer wrote:

> Default BPB for drive X: according to Bootfix 1.1 by Arkady:
> 512 by/sec, 4 sec/clust, 1 boot sector, 188 sec/fat, 2 FATs,
> 0 / 195016 sectors, 0xffff.f744 hidden sectors (this is the
> "partition position", looks completely wrong under the assumption
> that ZIP disks are not partitioned at all and even for a partitioned
> drive the position at about 2 TB offset looks very wrong), geometry
> C * 255 H * 63 S, Media ID 0xf8. No boot signature. FAT too short.

ZIP-100/250/750 and JAZ-1/2 media are *partitioned* media, that is,
they work as so called "removable drives." They have only a single
FAT16 partition (type 06h) on them, their BPB has a boot unit of 80h
and the media ID and FAT ID tags are both F8h. If you access them
through driver software, you won't see that they are organized like
harddisks, because you only see the logical drive through the driver.
However, if you boot from them, they get logged in as drive 80h and
you can use f.e. FDISK to create partitions on them (the latter is
not recommended, though).
For reference, my 3.5" Iomega ZIP-100 disks have a logical CHS geometry
of C/H/S/Z=96/64/32/512 on BIOS level, my 2.0" Iomega Clik! 40 disks
(also known as "PocketZIP 40") report with C/H/S/Z=37/64/32/512.
Does someone have a Clik! 25 drive (possibly the same as the rumoured
2.0" ZIP-25, but I'm not sure about this), a ZIP-250 or a ZIP-750 drive here?

This in contrast to so called "super-floppies", which are organized
like extra-large floppies, that is, they do not have a partition
table in the first sector. For example, LS-120/LS-240 3.5" UHD media
are super-floppies and get logged in as drive 00h if you boot from them.
Their media and FAT ID bytes are set to F0h and they use FAT16. For
reference, my LS-120 disks have a logical geometry of C/H/S/Z=963/8/32/512,
but I have also seen them reported as having 960/8/32/512. My LS-240 media
are organized as C/H/S/Z=262/32/56/512. If you put a FD32MB-formatted
2HD floppy into an LS-240 drive, it uses FAT16 and has a logical geometry
of C/H/S/Z=1024/2/32/512. If you erroneously put the same FD32MB formatted
floppy disk into a normal MF HD or ED floppy drive, it appears with
a dummy FAT12 filesystem and a geometry of C/H/S/Z=???/2/?/512 and is
write-protected (I will have to double-check the actual values for '?'
again, as the values I noted a while back seem to be wrong).

Please report, if you have seen ZIP disks working as super-floppies
or LS disks working as removable drives, I'm very interested in this
kind of stuff...

Greetings,

 Matthias

--
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs180/mpdokeng.html; http://mpaul.drdos.org

"Programs are poems for computers."