I've considered this in the past, but the consensus seems to be that it is best just to reboot. It is possible to assuming no TSRs are loaded that would be confused by such action, but if done in the kernel it would involve leaving normally init time (hence transient so does not normally occupy the precious low memory) code in. If you really really really need to do this, then for a controlled setup only (no TSRs or ones you know, and I do mean know, will not be confused by such action -- note FreeCom may be confused by such action) I would suggest taking the source for the specific kernel you are booting and make an external program that does the required work. I don't have time at the moment as I'm trying to finish my MS/PC DOS 6 config menu support, have a few dozen bugs on the back burner, my SYS work, my FreeCom work, my AtapiCDD work, and half a dozen other things I've forgotten about.

Jeremy
(current kernel maintainer)