> It's all undocumented, of course :) You're distinguishing undocumented
> undocumented from documented undocumented...

Nah, here I rather distinguished "undocumented changes from MS-DOS 6 to 7"
and the documented ones, which were like the config.txt user documentation
describing some of the changes and giving away hints as to what changed
technically ;-) (So, yes, you're probably right.)

> It just happens that nobody has updated RBIL. I'm not sure about
> "unexpected" because the 3.3x->4.0 change is similar, i.e. they could
> have left the 16bit sector counter for disks < 32MB.
>
> About SHARE:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/161619

Microsoft here says:
> In order to support the FAT32 file system, Share.exe support has been
> disabled in the real-mode MS-DOS kernel regardless of whether or not
> you have any drives using the FAT32 file system.

But what it actually means:
> We had to re-use some fields of an internal structure for FAT32 whose
> size we couldn't change, and breaking real-mode file sharing seemed
> like something we could get away with. It doesn't even work if you
> aren't using any FAT32 drive!

> nevertheless FreeDOS has its own share which doesn't use these SFT
> fields.

Yes.

> Of course it needs further testing, but I tested that reading a whole
> cluster only sets the last accessed cluster to that cluster, not the
> one following it. You must actually read one byte more to get that
> field updated.

Thanks. This is interesting information.

>> Doesn't it update the SFT relative and absolute current cluster values,
>> too? As far as I've understood it, fnodes should be invalidated when
>> leaving DOS, so if these cluster references were saved in the fnode
>> only,
>> it wouldn't help a lot.
>
> It should update those but doesn't at the moment.

If the fnode really goes away soon, the code could be easily changed to
use the fields in the SFT instead I guess. (Or not required, see other
mail from Eric!)

Regards,
Christian