2009/8/6 Christian Masloch <c...@bttr-software.de>:
> the kernel is supposed to support all Int21.7304 (Set DPB/BPB fields for
> formatting) subfunctions but doesn't provide subfunction 03h completely.
> The current code simply gets (and sets as requested) the flags from the
> BPB, but doesn't move the FAT accordingly. MS-DOS apparently contains code
> to do so. This isn't documented in RBIL, but can be tested by setting the
> active FAT (of a FAT32 drive) to a single one, then resetting the flags to
> include all FATs later. The second call overwrites the previously inactive
> FAT(s) with a copy of the active one. (Depending on the size of the file
> system, this results in a short delay. If this isn't the case,
> files/directories can be created (changing FAT entries) while only the
> active FAT is used and dosfsck can be used to insure both FATs have the
> same content later when the flags were reset.)

About a month ago I looked at the int21/ah=73 functions and there are
a lot of corrections to make, mostly because RBIL is very brief in
this area.

I found this documentation which says more or less what you tell us too:
http://www.thehackademy.net/madchat/vxdevl/vxmags/moonbug05/FAT32_32.HTM

The links don't work without manually correcting URLs (case
sensitivity!) but this looks like MSDN-style Microsoft documentation.

Bart