I have a need for the same feature, so I downloaded the 2039 build and made
tweaks from there.  I had no trouble with my combination of OW1.8 (DOS
native), NASM 2.07 (DOS native), and UPX 3.04 (Win32).

I also confirmed that I can compile and boot using other combinations,
including TC2.01, Borland C 4.52 and 5.02, or even aPack instead of UPX.
The only thing that prevented booting (stalling at the boot sector "FreeDOS"
display or the newer 2039 "......." display) was when I tried --lzma in UPX,
so I kept it at --ultra-brute, which in some cases can beat the kernel
default of --best.

Anyhow, I posted my work here:
http://superkeen.com/peacecorpsfiles/ke2039_floppy10.zip

Maybe it will save you the headache, unless of course I introduced bugs of
my own.  Any feedback is appreciated, since I haven't yet tested on multiple
machines.

>From my README:

FREEDOS FLOPPY-ONLY KERNEL (UNOFFICIAL):

This is a modified version of the official FAT16 FreeDOS kernel.  Most
significantly, it disables hard disk initialization and it is ~1KB smaller
that the official build.

----------

All files unique to the floppy-only kernel are in the root directory.

To make a "floppy-only" boot disk, you can still use the official SYS.COM--
I did not make a custom build.  For your convenience, the corresponding
official kernel source and FAT16 binaries (including SYS) can be found in
the OFFICIAL folder.

----------

The following are different in this version's source:

-INITDISK.C:
 Hard disks are not initialized (much code has been commented out).

(http://www.nabble.com/FreeDOS-kernel-without-any-harddisk-support.-td24693890.html)
 It would have been possible to make fewer changes to reach the same
functionality, but commenting out more also makes the file size smaller.

-KERNEL.ASM:
 Default sys config changed:
  -InitDiskShowDriveAssignment and GlobalEnableLBAsupport are disabled.
  -SkipConfigSeconds is set to zero.

-MAIN.C:
 Copyright string is modified to clearly distinguish this kernel as
floppy-only.  Original coyright has been abbreviated, otherwise there's not
enough time to read it all!

----------

The modified binaries are different from the official ones in that they are
size-optimized (386 kernel is <39KB) in the follwing ways:

-Compiled with Borland C++ 4.52.

(http://www.mail-archive.com/freedos-kernel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00062.html)
-Packed with aPack 1.00.

(http://www.mail-archive.com/freedos-kernel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00004.html)

Version history:

2009/10/02: ke_2039floppy 1.0, initial release, based on Kernel 2039 FAT16.

Released by Paul Blair as part of the FUZOMA project:
http://superkeen.com/peacecorpsweblog/learning-software/fuzoma-version-history/