> Alain mentioned that it is hard to keep an overview which
> kernel file is which version, for example if you want to
> report a problem or want to compare kernels. For that it
> would be a great help to put for example the SVN release
> number in there. SYS CONFIG can then be used to show it
> for any kernel file without having to boot with the file.

Any chance there will be a (21.33FF style) call to retrieve that number
 from the running kernel too? You can't be sure that the kernel file on C:
or A: or wherever is the one actually running. (Assuming a standard
system, the file still could have been updated to another kernel revision.)

Such a 21.33Fx call could also return the build number for convenience,
possibly with a special value such as 0 or -1 if it's no official build.

> The config would still be less than 16 bytes with version
> number in it. I think it would be a valuable small extra.
> Putting the SVN release number will only add a 16 bit int.

A 16-bit "int"errupt? Okay, I know what you mean and the kernel is
developed mostly in C anyway and sorry for that :/

Why is it important to fit the CONFIG area into 16 byte?

Regards,
Christian