Hello all,
DISCLAIMER: I have only minimal understanding of DOS internals, so don't
count on what I write being accurate; it reflects a year of superficial
reading.
Anyhow, I would never see the bug DOS386 mentioned because
1. I haven't used that much space; most of my DOS drives are <2 GiB
2. I generally use another OS for copies-I can't use NTFS, network, or my
USB2.0 flash drive (unless booted from it), and my laptop lacks a floppy
drive
3. I mostly use FAT16

I guess the BPB/DPB is a drive structure so not at fault, FCBs are (?) not
used for copying; thus I would expect that the issue might be in the FAT32
code, ints used for copying/deleting files, fnodes, SFTs, or some such
part of the kernel.
Based on this guess, I looked over the revision list
(http://freedos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freedos/kernel/trunk/?view=log)
and came up with some revisions that might be worth checking:
1448 -FAT32 cluster optimisations
1437
and perhaps
1436
1408
1397
Of course, this is just based on 'ASSuming' that 2038 does not have the
bug, and that changes in the fnode/SFT structure or FAT32 clusters are the
most likely cause.  Are these reasonable guesses?

Another guess:
Somewhere, the code might use a short int where it should use a standard
int, since
"  all the "evil" and "new" files, whether crosslinked or not, have the
UPPER 16 bits of STARTING CLUSTER ZERO "

@DOS386:
I noticed a comment to the effect that you don't know whether 2038 has the
bug.  How much have you used/tested 2038 (i.e., how likely is it)?

Sorry for the long post.
Thank you,
Ibidem