Method 1 is the traditional DOS way of installing software.

Maybe some advanced usage of JOIN & SUBST is what you are looking for?

Another alternative (though slightly messy) would be to combine
Methods 1 & 4.  By that, I mean, leave the *.bats in C:\DOS.  The
*.bats will temporarily create a new Environment & PATH extended as
the application expects and then remove the adjustment.  This will
slow down many types of computing, as HPA mentioned, SW builds come to
mind

-L.