Eric,

>> Having to "discard" DOS directories, to make room for new
>> data files, is the main loss of speed when using UIDE ...
>
> A cache might already "know" that the directories are more
> useful because they are accessed more often ...

I did not want to add such logic in UIDE, because I dare not
"trust" that each DOS variant works the same.   At run-time,
UIDE uses exactly one "system resource", the Int 13h vector.
This makes it "generic" and lets it run on all DOS variants.
I do not even use interrupts ("polling" only) since some old
Intel chipsets with "errata" (bugs!) had interrupt problems!

> ... Also, you do not have to cache data on the first write,
> you can wait until it is read again before caching it ...

This would also add code in UIDE (a table of "pending cache"
disk output areas), that I do not want to include.   At 5.5K
of run-time code, 4.6K of which can be "stashed" in the HMA,
UIDE is rather efficient as-is, and I want to keep it so.

> ... Another question is how often people copy 100-MB files
> on "non-Windows" DOS systems and whether it bothers them
> that doing so, with a small cache, will "flush out" useful
> data such as FATs and directory data from the cache,
> temporarily reducing speed.

I "got into" device drivers back in 2003 because I still use
V6.22 MS-DOS to backup/restore my Windows/NT system.   I bet
many folks use DOS as a "simple" (and cheap!) backup/restore
system for Gawd-AWFUL Windows, rather than spending money on
some equally Gawd-AWFUL Windows application program!   File-
copy speed in such operations still matters to me, and since
memory is now ludicrously cheap, why not USE it for a cache?

> PS: Best wishes for your speedy operation recovery ...

Thanks!   I am "up and about", but food with high fat levels
still HURTS when I eat it, due to "less" digestive fluids in
my system!   The Doc says it can take 18 months to "get used
to this", so I must simply be patient.

Jack R. Ellis