Hi,

> On Dec 27, 2023, at 1:04 PM, andrew fabbro via Freedos-user
> <freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> Greetings!
>
> I'm a bit perplexed trying to get networking working for FreeDOS 1.3 on QEMU.
>  My physical host is an M1 Mac (Apple Silicon).
>
> FreeDOS installs and boots fine, but I get this message:
>
>     QEMU network detected.
>     Physical hardware networking is not supported at this time.
>
> Here is my QEMU invocation:
>
> qemu-system-i386 -boot order=cd -m 32M -k en-us -name FreeDOS1 -cdrom
> FD13BNS.iso -drive FreeDOS1.img,format=raw,media=disk -net nic,model=pcnet
> -net user
>
> I've also tried model=ne2k_pci, model=e1000, etc.  Also tried similar setup
> in UTM, which is a graphical front end for QEMU.
>
> But looking at FreeDOS's startup scripts, I'm thinking maybe QEMU networking
> is not supported...?
>
> At line 84 of FDAUTO.BAT, "%dosdir%\bin\fdnet.bat start" is called.  Looking
> at fdnet.bat, at line 92, "vinfo /m" is executed.  When I execute this myself
> at the command line, errorlevel is set to 102.  In fdnet.bat, this branches
> to a label called NoAutoQEMU on line 109.  There, since %1 is "start" there's
> a goto NoStartQEMU.  That gives the "QEMU network detected" message.  Then
> there's a goto NoHardware, which gives the "Physical networking is not
> supported at this time" and end.

Although I am not looking at the batch at present, that sounds about right.

When the default “start” option is provided, FDNET will only attempt to start
networking support under VirtualBox and VMware. On real hardware and other
virtual platforms, it will just provide that error message and exit.

The reason for this is simple. It is known to work under those virtual machines
with the available open source drivers (by various authors) which included with
the FDNET package.

It’s been a few years. However, I think I also provided a “try” option which
will try anyway.

It also supports custom initialization batch files that could be simply dropped
into it’s directory for other hardware and proprietary drivers. That can
alleviate the requirement of modifying the FDAUTO.BAT every time a OS install
is performed.

> So is networking under QEMU completely unsupported?

Mostly, it comes down to time and resource constraints. QEMU is more
customizable than other Virtual Platforms and would most likely require more
testing and inclusion of instructions on how to make it work.

> Strangely, I found this forum post in which someone has it working just fine,
> so I'm thinking that maybe I'm doing something wrong?
>
> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-and-cloud-90/freedos-in-qemu-no-internet-connection-4175638386/
>
> <https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-and-cloud-90/freedos-in-qemu-no-internet-connection-4175638386/>

FDNET works well enough for it’s intended purpose. At least for the foreseeable
future, I cannot devote the time needed for supporting other platforms.

It would be great for someone knowledgeable in DOS networking to adopt FDNET
and give it the love and attention required to make it the best it could be.
Maybe even including support for real hardware and all of those CRYNWR drivers.

:-)

Jerome