Hi Eric!

> There is a DOS version of the Linux smbclient, a FTP style
> Samba / "Windows network neighborhood" client...

Sorry, I can't find it. So far I only found the following links:

A port of the SMB library by Richard Sharpe, GNU GPL:
http://www.bgnett.no/~giva/misc/dossmb02.zip

I read on Club DR-DOS Wiki about a DJGPP port of Mplayer which should
have this feature:
"Input: ftp dvdread(external) smb network"
Unfortunately the site http://mik.mkw.ru/dos-stuff/ is down.

Maybe this info from OpenAFS could be useful?
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/dev/user/amb/openafs/src/TechNotes-WIN9X

----snip-------
The main program of the Win9x client, afsd.exe, is implemented as a
32-bit DOS program.  It is compiled using the DJGPP compiler and runs
in a Windows 9x DOS virtual machine.
  [...]
The Windows AFS clients communicate with user applications using the
SMB protocol, as described above.  SMB communication is done using the
Netbios interface.  In Win32, there is a built-in function Netbios()
which accomplishes this.  In a DOS program, however, this function is
unavailable.  However, Netbios functionality is available in the BIOS
by calling interrupt 0x5c.  The NCB (Netbios Control Block) and data
buffer must be in conventional DOS memory, i.e., below 1 MB.  This
memory can only be accessed in DJGPP by using the DOS memory access
functions: dosmemget(), dosmemput(), _farpeekX() and _farpokeX().  [...]
-----snap------

> It WOULD be nice to have a driver which
> keeps running, but afair, the current Watt32 stack is just
> a library which is loaded each time when you start a program
> compiled for Watt32 use. The problem here is that this means
> that the config has to be processed each time. Maybe somebody
> could modify Watt32 so that it allocates some shared area of
> DOS memory to store the current config?

Maybe the developers of WatTCP/Watt-32 could answer this.

There's also Trumpets freeware NTCPDRV kernel (no source).

  >> 2. Using a NDIS driver for TCP/IP networking (with DIS_PKT).
>
> This part is alledgedly very simple: I think it would be
> very good to write a free replacement for DIS_PKT!

AFAIK DIS_PKT and DIS_PKT9 are already free (maybe the "binary must
show modification message" restriction wouldn't be OK for Richard M.
Stallman, but a fish is not as big as a Gnu ;-).

-------snip from DIS_PKT9--------
; DIS_PKT.ASM - Adapter provides Packet Driver v1.09 interface over
; NDIS.
; Version 1.07  18 May 1991  by Joe R. Doupnik, Utah State Univ.
; Version 1.08  9 Aug 1991 by Dan Lanciani, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
; Version 1.09  3 Nov 1991 by Joe R. Doupnik, Utah State Univ.
; Copyright (C) 1988 - 1991 FTP Software, Inc.
;
; This unmodified source file and it's executable form may be used and
; redistributed freely.  The source may be modified, and the source or
; executable versions built from the modified source may be used and
; redistributed, provided that this notice and the copyright displayed
; by the exectuable remain intact, and provided that the executable
; displays an additional message indicating that it has been modified,
; and by whom.

What's not free is NDIS3PKT (NDIS3NT, NDIS3CE) which provides a packet
driver interface in Windows 9x/NT/CE. (f.i. if you want to run Arachne
in a DOS Box.)

Uli