Hi!

> Just make regular backups, and keep a clean image.
> Make one before you go in the interwebz.
> Got a virus? Just wipe the disk and put the image back.

As you do not always notice the virus at once, you
better also keep older images. Or maybe you keep a
few generations of backups of your program folders
and separate backups of your data files. Makes it
easier to restore programs without rewinding data.

> It's not a bad idea to isolate it from your main
> network. Put it on a separate subnet, in a DMZ.
> Sandbox it. Or virtualize. Qemu works great on Linux.

If you really think that DOS puts your main network
at risk, then the easiest solution is not to install
network drivers for your DOS programs at all ;-).

> I just want to know, is FreeDOS IPv6 compatible?

No DOS uses any internet at all - only DOS programs
do... A common network stack for this is Wattcp /
Watt32, which is usually statically linked into the
exe files of your browser, ssh client, email, etc.
So the question is: Does Watt32 support IPv6 and is
your browser exe compiled with a recent Watt32...?

You can also have DOS network drive drivers which use
internet - I do not even know whether those can be
used at the same time as DOS networked apps such as
web browsers for DOS. In general, one of the Wattcp
and Watt32 annoyances is that it does not keep DHCP
config in "general" RAM, so each time you start some
network app for DOS, it asks the DHCP server again?

>> Why not, say, Samba? There already is smbclient for DOS.

Note that smbclient has the look and feel of a text
mode ftp client. It does not create local DOS drive
letters for your remote network shares or anything.

> I have an ancient laptop, small and light enough to
> carry around, and with reasonable battery life. I'll
> make it my netbook avant-la-lettre. I just
> have to get the network card working.

If it is ancient, it should be possible :-). Modern
PCI / PCIe / onboard network also has reasonable
support, better than ISA / PCMCIA I would say. Just
wireless everything has very missing drivers in DOS.

> Isolation of DOS isn't a client issue, it's a server
> and network issue. You don't need a modified DHCP client.
> You only need a well organized network with subnets/VLANs,
> and a good DHCP server.

Indeed :-)

>> - zip -r x:\everyth.zip c:\ (same idea as above but compressed)
>> - use doscdroast GUI or mkisofs/cdrecord (iso9660 CD or DVD)

> ... I prefer 7zip. It has superior compression rates.

If you have enough RAM and a suitable CPU (Pentium MMX / better?)
to make 7zip work at acceptable speed, yes ;-)

Eric