> You could write such a driver but you have to remember that "DOS
> block device" already implies FAT anyway.

This implication is a part of the problem I'm talking about. DOS (rather,
the DOS device loader) shouldn't assume that just FAT exists (it also
shouldn't discard non-FAT partitions from the MBR) but instead it should
first provide any filesystem to all loaded redirectors so if one of the
redirectors finds a non-FAT partition with a supported filesystem it could
add this block device to it's devices.

> In the ATAPI CD/DVD case, that interface is some
> int2f and some "DOS character device" interface, nothing "block".

Why do CD/DVD drivers need to have a DOS device visible to the DOS kernel
at all, then? Actually, they don't. Pretending that it's a character
device (which CD-ROMs usually aren't) is a hack (probably to save some
memory compared to dumb PSP TSRs). If MS-DOS (3.x) had support for linking
the redirector interface with block devices, CD/DVD drivers would probably
be written as DOS block devices, reporting impossible values when asked
for a (FAT-specific) BPB. (This won't require reading the CD-ROM.) The
*CDEX redirector would then search unhandled block devices and provide
access to those that access some sort of CDFS. A NTFS redirector would
just search unhandled block devices for a device that accesses NTFS,
instead of CDFS.

The major problem seems that the redirector interface was designed for
network redirectors, not for any kind of local non-FAT filesystem driver.

Christian