>>> If you're waiting for further improvements to 2038 before you release
>>> 2038, then you're doing this wrong. [...] I'd strongly recommend
>>> making 2038 available, and putting the "few pending improvements" in
>>> 2039.
>> The problem is that Eric holds back at least three necessary patches, of
>> which two are already provided in source form. He doesn't exactly have
>> "wait" for these, we've completely described them.
>
> This sounds strange to me. As you both probably know, the unstable
> branch was discussed not long ago and it was made clear that it was not
> ready to be released. Three more necessary patches doesn't really help,
> does it? The unstable branch can become a big treasure for future
> development, but why release unstable binary for testing when noone is
> developing it? A list of all the patches is being made.

The pending patches are in no way associated with the so-called "unstable"
kernel fork. As mentioned in my list below the mail, at least two of them
have to be applied to unstable as well, if anyone wants to continue its
development.

You can't argue that the patches are to be applied to an unstable version
of the kernel _only_, because anyone with enough understanding of C (first
and last patch) or Assembly (second patch) will understand that these
patches are necessary, that they properly fix critical bugs, and that
there is no chance that they might break anything related to
compatibility. It's the opposite: Some things will work that didn't, e.g.
accessing files up to 4 GiB size on FAT32 drives. Or using the ESCAPE
program that lead to the bug report the first patch will fix.

If you think I'm wrong here and that this is somehow related to technical
kernel stuff, please respond on the Freedos-kernel list instead.

Regards,
Christian