Op 12-1-2012 19:03, Ulrich Hansen schreef:
> I have written a description of the boot delay caused by the loading of
> UIDE.SYS in VirtualBox.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=VirtualBox_-_Chapter_8
>
> Anybody has an idea how to solve this with free software? Would the
> eltorito.sys driver help? I never worked much with CD drives in FreeDOS, so I
> am a bit stuck.

Wasn't the solution to enable IO APIC or something like that? So a
different enabled chipset.

ELTORITO.SYS can help, but only if you configure the VM to start with
booting from CD, after which you boot from harddisk.

theoretical CDROM.BAT for example

@echo off
rem load CDEX, without any ISO9660 drivers attached
SHSUCDX /D9 /QQ
DEVLOAD ELTORITO.SYS /D:FDCD0000
DEVLOAD UIDE.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /N3 /B
SHSUCDHD /F:C:\FDBOOTCD.ISO
rem add drivers only by one
rem change loading order as you like
if exist FDCD0000 SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0000,D
if exist FDCD0001 SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001,D
if exist SHSU-CDH SHSUCDX /D:SHSU-CDH,D
if exist SHSU-CDR SHSUCDX /D:SHSU-CDR,D

Alternatives are creating and using an ISO file:
OMI.EXE D: C:\FDBOOTCD.ISO

Or replacing the CD-driver by the closed-source generic OAKCDROM.SYS or
VIDE-CDD.SYS drivers [ http://www.opus.co.tt/dave/indexall.htm ].

Jack's UIDE.SYS driver performs chipset initialisation which is
apparently still implemented in a buggy way in the VirtualBox software.