Greetings, I wanted to try out FreeDOS on an old laptop where I have
replaced the HDD with a CF card. I am looking to avoid floppies/CDs
however, so I am wondering if anyone has an image that could be written to
the CF card that would then boot into FreeDOS. I`ve found that once I have
a bootable CF card I can dump the whole thing to an image using a sector
editor, and use that image to make another CF card of equal or greater
size bootable as well. Having a bootable image available would be
convenient for some folks, am I right?

I`m also wondering if it is possible to install FreeDOS onto a FAT16/32
partition alongside Windows NT4/2K/XP and add it to the Windows boot menu
by pointing it to a file containing the FreeDOS boot sector. That is how I
keep a win98 command prompt around as an option on 2K/XP boxes. The tricky
part of course is getting that boot sector, along with the numbers in it
that match the drive geometry. I`m assuming FreeDOS uses its own boot
sector that is different than a DOS or win9x one, is this correct? Does it
use "IO.SYS" and "MSDOS.SYS" as system files or are they called something
else?

The other thing I`m curious about is how speedstep and CPU states are
working under FreeDOS. I have another laptop which had the CPU (a
low-voltage one that is soldered to the board!) replaced with a faster
model. Since the BIOS wasn`t designed to support this, it always boots up
at the default (minimum) speed. There are utilities to manipulate the CPU
speed under Windows but I haven`t found anything that runs under DOS. I
tried FDAPM, and got an error about "unable to parse ..." but
surprisingly, using the "speed" argument I was able to switch it to
something even slower (but not faster). I didn`t know a Pentium M could
run at less than 600MHz, but when I used speed4 it seemed like it was cut
down to half that speed. (I took this opportunity to run the old bytemark
CPU benchmark, which normally would crash on anything 600MHz or faster due
to a bug)

TIA...