Op 1-2-2012 19:45, dmccunney schreef:
> Whether this works will depend upon your BIOS.  The box I have FreeDOS
> on will boot from a USB floppy drive, but *not* from a USB stick.
> BIOS limitation.  I can't see a USB stick from FreeDOS either, because
> no driver is available that can do it.  (I've looked at the USB
> drivers for FreeDOS, and they don't handle the method the box uses.)

Bret's USB drivers in DOS so far are written specificly for UHCI, an USB
1.1 implementation. Other vendor-provided (usually product-related) and
commercial implementations exist that go beyond UHCI, one such can be
found at [ http://www.georgpotthast.de/usb/ ].

likely cause a system crash though, as these USB drivers tend to hijack
the entire USB stack, disconnecting you from any and all previous USB
devices and their contents (either at per-controller basis or all
USB-controllers at the same time).

One workaround is a ramdisk loaded by floppydisk, but that's pretty
nasty to setup properly:

* create ramdisk
* find driveletter for it
* copy shell
* copy batchfile
* copy usb drivers
* switch to ramdisk
* execute copied batchfile
* don't access A: anymore till reset

The Syslinux/memdisk method is slightly easier as the ramdisk created by
MEMDISK will then be drive A:.
Guess I should be creating such a disk soon.

Bernd