At 06:40 PM 5/17/2012, Kenny wrote:
>So I've been hearing that DOS needs no drivers for a printer.

Again, all that DOS knows about a printer is that it is a (ASCII)
character based device on either parallel or serial port. No driver
needed for that functionality...

>  Well, it's not working for me.

Tough nuts, but such is life...

>If it helps, I have an HP printer. It's not that new, and connects
>via USB, but other than that, that's all I know.

Well, DOS by itself predates the use of USB, all you can try is to
use the USB drivers that are mentioned a few times here. But those
only provide the basic functionality of talking to a USB device, like
a printer. It still doesn't provide you with anything printer specific...

>  I have no idea what to do. And telling me that it's not going to
> work unless you do something, and not telling me how to do it is
> not going to help me at all (just saying).

You need to try and understand the answer you got. I clearly told you
that DOS does not have the concept of "printer drivers". That's a
simple fact. If there are printer specific drivers for use under DOS,
they are application specific. Like printer drivers for MS Word,
printer drivers for WordPerfect, printer drivers for Lotus 1-2-3, etc.

>I tried using the "print" command, but all it did was add it to a queue.

Well, that's what the purpose of the "print" command is, it's a print
queue (spooler), for printing "in the background". It has nothing to
do with any printer drivers, for before mentioned reasons...

>I tried doing it through the "edit" program by changing the ports to
>every option there was on there, but it still didn't work.

Well, "doesn't work" doesn't help. It is not a proper problem description...

>I would like some friendly advice and instructions on how to do it. Thanks,

Doing what? Again, DOS (and it's direct related utilities) does not
have the concept of printer drivers, so if you do not have a printer
that understands simple character output and ASCII control sequences,
then you are simply out of luck...

Ralf