Am 18.06.2012 um 22:15 schrieb Aitor Santamaría:

> There were in the past conflicts with KEYB 2.00 and JEMM that were apparently
> solved with KEYB 2.01.
> The NOHI option mostly controlls KEYB access to XMS, but reading this thread,
> and knowing what I fixed 2.00 to 2.01, I suspect JEMM may make the DOS'
> memory allocation strategy functions less robust than they are with other
> DOSes.
> In case it helps JEMM...

Thanks for looking into this. There is also a page in the FreeDOS wiki about
the problem:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=VirtualBox_-_Chapter_9

As I wrote, KEYB v2.01 and JEMMEX v5.75 are installed in a way in FreeDOS 1.1
that leads to KEYB crashing at boot
- if you choose option 1 from the boot menu and
- manually changed AUTOEXEC.BAT to install a keyboard layout.
Generally spoken this means people with a different keyboard than the US have a
problem.

AFAIK there are two ways to work around this as user:

1. Solution: Change the following line in FDCONFIG.SYS
1?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS X=TEST I=TEST NOVME NOINVLPG
to read
1?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS I=TEST NOVME NOINVLPG
(remove X=TEST)

Or

2. Solution: Change the following line in AUTOEXEC.BAT (if you install f.i. the
german keyboard layout)
KEYB GR,,keyboard.sys
to read
KEYB GR,,keyboard.sys /NOHI

Effects on free memory:
1st solution:     598,736 total     594,656 conv     4,080 upper
2nd solution:     590,560 total     590,208 conv     352 upper

So the first solution gives me more free memory while the second solution may
result in a more robust system (more tested and excluded upper memory blocks).

Of course from a user's perspective it would be best if either KEYB or JEMMEX
could be fixed. According to your remarks it should be JEMMEX. I just tested
the new JEMMEX v5.76 but there was no difference.

regards
Ulrich