very interesting points, basically translating into what she is willing to
try.
the reference to 286 made me laugh out loud, my own desktop is a Pentium 3
with 784 meg of memory but  I had mine built for me.
The Dell laptop  inspirum 7500 if memory serves was built around 2000 I
think.
One can avoid windows with ease if willing to work at it.  I have
personally since 1988...and it has been worth it to me believe me!
Dos means never having to do what is popular smiles.

Linux is out for her too, again she does not want to invest in what she
does not understand...too many very bad windows times and she likes dos so
she says.
her windows experience's have been disastrous, up to running xp, I cannot
imagine going through 18 computers in three years.
  It is funny you mentioned programming as she wants to learn dos
programming so as to improve what is available, perhaps creating a dos
multitasking structure that will do what she desires might be a good
motivation.
I have to agree with the bug gs in Dr dos's emm386,   they would sneeze at
the computer and the program would find a general protection error lol.
Thanks for your input,
Karen