Still, it seems that at least some series are shipped with FreeDOS:

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Revo_Nettop_Celeron_887_4GB_750GB_Shared_No_Opt_WiFi__Free_Dos_DT.SMCEK.003/version.asp

As Eric said, FreeDOS is probably only used as an easy way of checking
that the machine works (or boots, at least). IIRC, there were some
stories about OEMs having some kind of contracts with Microsoft, that
were forbidding them to sell PCs without an OS (but I might have got it
wrong).

In any case, if I were going to buy a PC, I'd certainly refuse to pay
for a Windows license that I have no use of. So FreeDOS is a good fit
here, as a "throw-away" system.

Mateusz