My machines are all old and use only IDE. As for SATA I don't see how
that could be better.
The S stands for serial or one bit at a time. A SATA drive interface has
only 4 lines going
into it vs IDE which has 44 lines. On SATA 2 lines are for power, the
other 2 lines are for data.
Using the same clock which do you think is faster?

cheers
DS

-----

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00975a052