On Fri, 16 May 2014 11:29:09 -0400, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:31 AM, TJ Edmister <damag...@hyakushiki.net>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 May 2014 11:30:22 -0400, dmccunney
>> <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> XP on FAT32?  <shudder>
>>
>> I have always run XP on FAT32 without problems. The only downside in my
>> book is the 4GB file limit. NTFS is overly complicated.
>
> What's complicated about it?  If you don't use optional capabilities
> like compression or encryption, you mostly don't have to do anything
> to use it.

The aforementioned lack of support among different OS (owing to the
complexity of the low-level implementation), as well as incompatibilities
between versions of Windows and the filesystem itself (eg. the Win7
installer would crash without explanation when attempting to install on an
existing NTFS partition created with an earlier version of Windows)

"Links" are problematic. I have seen links to a directory inside its own
directory tree. This results in  a situation where eg. a DIR /S command
runs indefinitely. And the only way I know to remove such a link is with a
sector editor.

I never liked the idea of file metadata (or alternate data streams, which
are possible but not commonly used AFAIK) as they tend to not be preserved
when copied to another filesystem, archived, or uploaded.

Making a change to file permissions on an NTFS volume involves a
minutes-long process of updating the attributes for every individual file
affected (just a base Windows install is tens of thousands of files these
days)