On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 07:33:47 -0500, Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

>> FreeBasic doesn't support FIFO, and most likely no IRQ.
>
>> try
>
>>          Open Com "COM1:600,n,8,1,cs0,ds0,cd0,rs" For Random As #CP
>
>> and see if that changes your problem.
>
> sorry, not true.
> FreeBasic seems to use IRQ, but not FIFO.
>
> anyway, try
>           Open Com "COM1:600,n,8,1,cs0,ds0,cd0,rs" For Random As #CP
>
> Tom

I have done a bit with serial ports in FreeBASIC on Windows. I had an
issue with dropping bytes when reading one character at a time. Reading a
string with the length according to LOC() function seemed to solve the
problem. This is what my routine looks like:

ff1=freefile
open com "COM3:230400,n,8,1,cs0,cd0,ds0,rs" as #ff1

a102:
sleep 20
while loc(ff1)>0
k=input$(loc(ff1),ff1)
print k;
wend
goto a102

There is an argument that can be passed in the Open Com statement to
specify a buffer size. Is it supported in DOS? Maybe I will have to whip
out FB DOS compiler and experiment. BTW, I'm not sure why you are adding
For Random, or what that would even mean in this context.