On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 07:55:59 -0500, Matej Horvat
<matej.hor...@guest.arnes.si> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:44:52 +0100, Thomas Mueller <mueller6...@twc.com>
> wrote:
>
>> from Rugxulo:
>>
>>> One of the big problems (not counting HTML5 or Javascript or Flash) is
>>> HTTPS. Not just for DOS but for any OS that isn't top tier (big three:
>>> Mac, Win, Linux).
>
> On DOS, Dillo and Links support HTTPS.
>
>> Even the lighter-weight graphic web browsers for Linux/Unix support
>> Javascript and HTTPS, Mozilla Firefox and Seamonkey, and maybe some
>> others, also support HTML5, but Flash is a big problem.
>
> I do not understand why everyone is so deathly afraid of HTML5. HTML5
> pages do not magically stop working in HTML 4.01 browsers. HTML5 just
> adds
> some new elements, many of which are semantic and can be ignored when
> rendering a page.

According to wiki, HTML 4.01 dates back to 2001, so technically there are
huge number of HTML 4.01 browsers when including the various versions
released since 2001. CSS is probably the biggest reason for websites not
working right in any case. Some sites are completely reliant on Javascript
and are useless otherwise, but I have seen a few that will still work
right in an old browser. Tons and tons of sites don't render properly or
at all, with or without JS, because of CSS issues. Sometimes I go into a
page's source code and delete or edit sections to make it display.

> Usually when people say HTML5, they mean the <audio> and <video>
> elements,
> which currently no DOS browser supports. They are a _good_ thing. They
> make it possible to include audio and video without relying on
> proprietary
> technologies such as Flash (which fortunately hardly any site requires
> anymore, probably because of iOS's popularity).
>
> In fact, I am sure Arachne could easily support them by just rendering
> them as a link and then downloading the audio/video file and starting the
> appropriate program, like it already does. The <audio> and <video>
> elements pretty much are just an extended version of the old <a> element
> that support specifying multiple formats so the browser can choose one
> depending on what it supports.

Haha. A simple link to an audio or video file? But that's exactly what the
site operators don't want, or they could have done it in the first place.
It would be way too easy.

In Opera version 4, one could click a link to an AVI file and it would
download and play in the browser window. Of course, since an AVI file has
the index chunk at the end, the whole thing had to transfer before
playback could begin.