On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:

> Freedos can give me fat 32 capabilities. Reading & writing to bigger  chips.

Why would you *need* to?

I still have my original PC clone running DOS in a shelf.  I has a
replacement motherboard with a NEC V20 chip running at 10mhz, 640K of
RAM, an AST 6-Pak addon card with a megabyte of EMS memory, allocated
between a 512K ramdisk, a 256K disk cache, and EMS for apps that could
use it, a Hercules graphics card that drove an amber monitor, dual
360K full height floppies, and two Seagate ST-225 MFM 20 *MB* hard
drives.

DOS was small, apps were small, and data wasn't all that large.  I had
space to burn.

I have FreeDOS installed to multiboot on an old notebook with a 40GB
drive that also boots Win2K, and Puppy and Ubuntu Linux.  Win2K has a
20GB NTFS slice.  Ubuntu and Puppy each have 8GB ext4 slices.  FreeDOS
is on a 2GB FAT32 slice.  The rest is a swap area for Puppy and
Ubuntu.

I allocated the 2GB slice for FreeDOS expecting to use FAT16, and
FAT32 support was a happy fringe benefit.  Even with a full FreeDOS
installation including pretty much everything on the ISO, and an
assortment of other old DOS apps, I think I've used about a quarter of
the 2GB FreeDOS partition.  I'm trying to think of what I might store
there using DOS that would *need* more space, and can't think of
anything.  The advantage to FAT32 was more efficient use of existing
space, because a cluster could be a lot smaller.

> Qpro 3 works great. I hate to mess with sucess. Sometimes the new version
> isn't as good as the old - it happens.

As long as QPro 3 does what you need from a spreadsheet, splendid.
Most of us upgrade to get things the current versions of what we run
*can't* do, and we get new versions to get those new features.

> cheers
> DS
______
Dennis