Also, the cable is needed only if the player uses the CD-player audio
capabilities. MPXPLAY does not, it reads and processes audio tracks
himself instead.

You will need to fiddle with your mpxplay.ini file for sure. But as for
a 'CD Player that works with FreeDOS', I'd say that pretty much any
player should work. Have you tried any yet, beside mpxplay?

Mateusz