Hi,

On Jun 2, 2015 8:53 PM, "Don Flowers" <donr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've recently become aware of some incompatibility between
> our FreeDOS unzip, Linux unzip and the legacy Pkunzip
> versions 2.04 and 2.50. I download hundreds of SIMTEL/BBS
> and other vintage files a month and I know that statistically
> a percentage of those will be incomplete or have CRC errors.

What Simtel mirror are you using? Have you tried a different site?

> But files that I know are complete are not being uncompressed
> properly. This almost always shows up in a blank README file.

This could also be a connection error on your end, whether faulty hardware
or software.

> I typically download and unzip with linux but when I noticed
> this anomaly I switched to FreeDOS unzip and noticed some
> improvement, but when I switched to pkunzip the number
> of blank files has dropped dramatically.  Has anyone else
> noticed this?

Which Info-Zip? 5.52 or 6.00? DJGPP (32-bit) or 16-bit? LFNs or SFNs?

Keep in mind that there are various other unzipping tools (e.g. DJTAR or
Doszip or p7zip).

I've personally not seen any errors in recent memory, and (as Louis already
suggested) I often run "unzip -t".