On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 16:50:25 -0400, Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste.fr> wrote:

> On 28/06/2015 20:03, Rugxulo wrote:
>> "Below 16M"? You mean for DMA or the like?
>
> I have honestly no idea what the 'low-level' implications are. If
> someone asked me 2 days ago, I'd say that's impossible, since an
> application only requests XMS "handles" from the XMS driver, and
> performs all moves from/to XMS by calling the XMS driver over a small
> 64K window of data... Hence the application is not aware at all where
> physically the memory it gets is located at.

DOOM is a 32-bit program, it doesn't use 64KB segments. It doesn't even
need an XMS driver installed to run.

BTW, I tested DOOM 1.9 on my FreeDOS install and got similar results. My
system is a Pentium III 600e, 192MB of RAM, with an ISA Sound Blaster 16.
If I have a large (40MB) UIDE disk cache active then the system halts upon
exiting the game.

Under Windows 98 DOS, it crashes with a GPF if I have a 32MB SMARTDRV
cache. It does seem like a bug in the old DOS4GW.