I have heard about this problem from some users of the FreeDOS VirtualBox
images at
https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/>

As far as I found out, "Bad or missing command interpreter" doesn’t necessarily
mean COMMAND.COM doesn’t exist. It can also mean it can’t be loaded. This seems
to be an issue of JEMMEX on some machines.

You could experiment with JEMMEX settings. Others here know a lot more about
that and perhaps have the time to help you.

Another possibility: If you use FreeDOS for non-commercial purposes, it would
be legal to use the memory manager of Calderas DR-DOS instead. The full DR-DOS
can be found here ftp://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/pub/pc/caldera
<ftp://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/pub/pc/caldera> with all the necessary notes and
licensing information. Please read it. For your convenience the driver alone
can be downloaded here: https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/dremm386.zip
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/dremm386.zip>.

Unzip it to a folder like C:\UTIL\DRDOS.

Look for a line similar to this one in C:\FDCONFIG.SYS:

15678?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS X=TEST I=TEST NOVME NOINVLPG

and replace it by this one

15678?DEVICE=C:\UTIL\DRDOS\DREMM386.EXE NOEMS EXCLUDE=D000-D7FF

And in C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT after the following line

IF „%config%“==„4“ goto end

add this line:

C:\UTIL\DRDOS\DREMM386.EXE PIC=ON

Please give some feedback if this works for you.

Note: DR-DOS EMM386 doesn’t have all the features of JEMMEX so you need to test
if your programs work with this driver. Try also different settings to get more
free memory. I know that this is not a perfect solution.

Ulrich