On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 21:30:03 -0400, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 4/23/2016 6:53 PM, Dale E Sterner wrote:
>> The copy command is limited to what you set the mode command to.
>> FREEDOS lets you set the baud very high but other dos's and
>> even windows has 9600 baud as the upper limit, well below
>> the uarts top speed.
>> If I type copy filename.prn com1: in any other dos besides FREEDOS
>> its top transmission speed is 9600. Any graphics file would take a few
>> minutes at that speed. Text file are ok at 9600 but pictures take
>> forever.
>> Terminal software like xtalk only send text files at high speeds.
>> For photos you need the dos copy command.
> Sorry, but all of this is NOT correct. Once again, nothing in DOS limits
> how high you set the UART speed

No, he's right. The MODE command under MS-DOS 6.0 as well as Win98 is
arbitrarily limited to 19200bps. Doesn't mean that other programs can't
set a higher speed themselves, but MODE cannot.

However under Windows 7 32-bit, the MODE command doesn't appear to have
any limits. (I can set eg. MODE COM3: baud=666666 and it will accept that,
although this is not a "real" serial port)