Hi again,

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Linux, Unix, BSD and Mac systems, you can just use the ‘dd’ command.
>
> I'm sure there is a wiki somewhere (for some relatively obscure *nix
> distro) that cleanly and simply describes all of this with various
> details. But I don't know where exactly.

More tips (untested), found via some random reddit thread:

FreeBSD only:  Ctrl-T when any base util running (SIGINFO)
pkill -USR1 -x dd
ddrescue
watch -n 30 'pkill -USR1 -n -x dd'

Even more tips found at TestDisk site:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk

And (for non-*nix) I also found a tool called "Win32 Disk Imager" ("A
Windows tool for writing images to USB sticks or SD/CF cards"):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

"... is designed to write a raw disk image to a removable device or
backup a removable device to a raw image file." (So it can read
[backup] or write or verify image.)