Hi,

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Abe Mishler <a...@mishlerlabs.com> wrote:

> Is anybody else running the Turbo C 2.01 IDE under FreeDOS? I appreciate any
> help towards this end.

I don't normally use IDEs. The very few times I do, I use TC++101
instead (which has less bugs and is noticeably faster code). While
Embarcadero has annoying restrictions, you can still allegedly
download (newer) TC++ but maybe have to (also) download (Windows)
trialware/bloatware first. So please try that, it's a better choice.

https://edn.embarcadero.com/article/21751

Just for completeness, you can dual boot MS-DOS and FreeDOS with
MetaKern. But I don't think it's necessary, and I'd honestly be
surprised if this was truly a kernel bug.

The only quirk I remember hearing about in recent years was slowdown
(in Borland IDEs) due to FDAPM, but that can be worked around by using
"ADV:REG" instead.

Sorry if that's not quite the perfect solution you want to hear.
Honestly, we have so many other compilers that few consider Borland
tools that crucial anymore. (I know some people prefer them, but we
don't *need* them, thankfully.)

If all you want is error checking (jump to compiler errors in editor),
I think even a DJGPP compile of JED supported that. Heck, a lot of
text editors (TPE?) also supported such error-jumping.

http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TPE

Normally, since it is OSI-approved and supports cross-compilation,
OpenWatcom is preferred for FreeDOS development. It doesn't come with
a (DOS) IDE, only a vi clone. IIRC, although I only tried it maybe
once, there was also an old third-party (DOS, Watcom) IDE called
PowerView, which you can find (and sources) on Simtel mirror under
/pgmutl/ (pvide50.zip, pvidesrc.zip):

http://cd.textfiles.com/simtel0101/simtel/pgmutl/

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. (DJGPP has old/dead
RHIDE, and FPC has its own [Go32v2] IDE.)