Hi Dennis,

> I downloaded and installed WinImage 9.0 on my win98 computer. It has a
> floppy drive. I successfully wrote the img file to a floppy.
> Another issue occurred to me. My cd-rom drive is a SCSI external type.

That might be a problem, depending on your SCSI controller
and whether it has good BIOS support etc etc. I assume you
refer to the CD-ROM of the PC where you want to install DOS?

By the way, does that PC also have another operating system?
Do you want to replace that by DOS? Or install both side by
side as "dual boot"? The latter requires special steps, the
former can mean that current disk contents get overwritten.

> The new boot floppy has an fdconfig.sys and an autoexec‎.bat file. I'm
> thinking
> I need to add lines to both to recognize the SCSI drive when it boots.

If you have good DOS drivers for the drive and know how to
configure them, then you can do that. If you plan to install
DOS on a computer where you already have or can install some
operating system with easy internet, then I would recommend
another method: Copy the ISO file of FreeDOS to a FAT drive
on the PC where you want to install DOS and then "mount" it
as if it would be the CD of FreeDOS :-) If the boot floppy
has no automatic support for that, then I am sure that some
extra explanation of this trick could be given by Rugxulo or
Jerome, with examples of what to put where in fdconfig and
autoexec on the boot floppy :-)

The idea is that you need no hardware specific drivers at all
to open the ISO if you already have it on the future DOS PC,
so you avoid all worries about SCSI and CDROM drivers then.

You still do need that special ISO driver, of course, but as
that is not specific to certain hardware, it is easy to use.

Cheers, Eric