From: Dennis Fenton <dwf...@gmail.com>

Thanks to everyone on the FreeDOS list who tried to help me. I learned
a few things. After careful consideration I decided to go in a
different direction. I installed MS-DOS 7.10. It is now running
smoothly on my 486 laptop. I had to set up the SCSI drives by writing
a few lines into autoexec.bat and one into config.sys.
Happy computing.

On 25/03/2017, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> I disagree about FreeDOS being "not ready yet" or "no advantage to MS
>> DOS".
>
> If you already have the original gold standard of DOSes, i.e. MS-DOS
> (which was widely tested and hugely popular, by far the most
> ubiquitous DOS), then you don't urgently "need" any other DOS clone at
> all, period.
>
> Various DOS clones exist, and they all have minor advantages, but
> overall they work the same (no extra APIs offered, no utilizing newer
> advanced cpu features). For common DOS software (and loadable
> drivers), they all behave effectively the same (more or less) on any
> decent DOS kernel.
>
> Reasons not to use MS-DOS? It's unsupported and proprietary and harder to
> find.
> Reasons not to use FreeDOS? You just want to run the exact same
> software that already runs perfectly on your current MS-DOS install.
>
> Heck, apparently there are still people using TAWK, which is
> (apparently) proprietary and long dead. One guy was complaining that
> GAWK (aka, GPL) still doesn't 100% equal TAWK features despite being
> 20 years newer. Sound familiar? Old habits die hard.
>
> (In hindsight, it's best to not write proprietary, non-standard,
> unportable software at all, if you have a choice. Although nothing
> lasts forever, not even standards, it does certainly help to try to be
> portable/cross-platform from the start.)

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net